Last updated : 06 February 2013 By Andy Ashworth & Tony Scholes

Date and Place of Birth

28th August 1969 - BELLSHILL


Transfers to and from Burnley

from HUDDERSFIELD TOWN - 12th March 1999

released - 8th May 2000


First and Last Burnley Games

PRESTON NORTH END (h) - 14th March 1999


CHESTERFIELD (a) - 15th January 2000


Other Clubs








Burnley Career Stats


Season League FA Cup League Cup Others Total
  apps gls apps gls apps gls apps gls apps gls
1998/99 12 1 - - - - - - 12 1
1999/2000 5(3) - - - 2 - 0(1) - 7(4) -
Total 17(3) 1 - - 2 - 0(1) - 19(4) 1


Profile by Andy Ashworth


Diminutive full back Tom Cowan started his career at Scottish non league side Netherdale BC in 1987. His first break in the professional game came with Clyde as he signed up for and starred in his only season for them. His displays had caught the eye of then Rangers boss Graeme Souness who stole in to take him to Ibrox.

His debut for the Gers came as a replacement for Ray Wilkins in a game which all but clinched the title for them in 1991. The final game of the season though saw him break his leg against title rivals Aberdeen. He did manage to claim an appearance at the Olympic Stadium in Munich as a 2nd half substitute, but it proved too hard to force his way past David Robertson and Chris Vinnicombe.

A £350,000 move to Sheffield United soon followed with Dave Bassett who, as always, had an eye for totally committed players. He played around 50 games for the Blades and also found himself loaned out on more than one occasion.

A £150,000 transfer to Huddersfield came about on the back of a successful loan in which his displays had helped to stave off relegation for the Terriers. The next season he was part of the side which won the play-offs to give them promotion to the 1st division but suffered a cruciate ligament injury and then a broken jaw, seeing his place taken by new signings.

He joined the Clarets on loan following the double home thrashings by Gillingham and Man City, along with Paul Cook. We went on an unbeaten run at the business end of the season and stayed up, during which time he scored a peach of an overhead kick against Macclesfield at home, leading to a £20,000 transfer. The next year he was involved much less but he had acquired cult status amongst some fans, who called for his inclusion more regularly - especially at Coventry City as we went down 3-0 in the FA Cup. Stan knew best though as we won promotion and 'Super Tommy Cowan' was shown the door.

He joined Cambridge after us but was freed after they were relegated to the Conference. From there he had spells at York and then Dundee, where he scored a 30 yard screamer on his debut. Dundee however had financial troubles and he left to sign for Carlisle, where he became captain. As the Cumbrians moved up the league though, he moved in the opposite direction, playing non-league with Barrow, Workington and Hucknall.

From Hucknall he signed for Stalybridge Celtic before joining Hyde United in the summer of 2007 and into a back four that also included former Clarets Chris Brass and youth team player Earl Davis. However, on 3rd February 2008 he ended his time with Hyde and retired from the game with immediate effect. He had suffered a succession of injuries that he was struggling to shake off and decided to quit before he got a more serious injury as he was planning to join the fire service.