Victory at the end of the line

Last updated : 05 December 2004 By Tony Scholes

Tom Ince - a sweet left footer to win the game for the Clarets
It was a good team performance in a game that we totally dominated from start to finish, if it had been a boxing bout then the referee would have stopped the fight in the first half.

We passed the ball around with confidence and at times Blackpool were not getting a kick. When they did it was a rushed clearance or a bad pass.

Burnley though were attacking well in particular down both wings and especially down the left where Adam Jones was linking up well with Tom Ince.

Chance after chance came, had we scored on early we could well have got on to get four or five we were so dominant. We hit the side netting and the woodwork from a good header by Alex Taylor.

Darrell Avery, having a good game in midfield, did get the ball in the net but was harshly adjudged offside.

Half time came and it was 0-0 but no one could quite understand how. Michael Hale in goal had not once been threatened.

Nothing changed after the break and it was much more of the same passing and interplay between defence, midfield and the forwards and was good to watch, but still the goal wouldn’t come.

Just as in the first half, chances were created. Again shots in the side netting and again the woodwork came to Blackpool’s rescue on more than one occasion. There goalkeeper caused them problems more than once, fumbling the ball, but It appeared as though lady luck was on the side of the Seasiders.

The Clarets’ defence were in good form too and when the home side did string a few passes together they coped with no problem.

Finally on 65 minutes the breakthrough came after we won a free kick on the right hand side outside the box. A couple of the players lined up to take it but it was Ince who hit a sweet left footer into the top corner to the keeper’s right, he had no chance.

There were still more chances but the home side continued to have a charmed life and it really could have been the highest win of the season, but a win is a win.

Hale was finally called into action late in the game to make a double save. He stopped a close range effort with his leg and easily caught a tame follow up header.

It was only 1-0 but this was a good performance all round. The defence was solid as usual with Adam Jones slotting in well for the injured Martin Reilly at left back. The midfield grafted hard and outplayed Blackpool and up front, lack of goals apart, we cause them no end of problems.

There was some good news on the injured players from last week. Martin Reilly should be back in a week’s time and although Kyle Lafferty is expected to be out for a couple of months, his injury is not as bad as first feared.

We’ve lost only two games this season, both away at Stockport and Tranmere. We’ve gained revenge over Stockport since, beating them at home, and next Saturday we get the same opportunity with Tranmere when we play them at Gawthorpe.

The team yesterday was: Michael Hale, Rob Henry, Neal Trotman, Chris McCann, Adam Jones, Marc Pugh, Darrell Avery, Joe Booth, Nicky Platt (Jamie Robertson), Tom Ince (Jay Rodrigues), Alex Taylor.

Fixtures and Results

League Table (prior to the weekend games)