Rejer takes charge

Last updated : 22 February 2002 By Tony Scholes

The 46 year-old official is in his 8th and presumably last season on the Football League list and will be in charge of his first Burnley game this season.

His season so far has seen him take charge of 29 game and in those games has issued just 56 yellow and 3 red cards. Again there has been anything but an even distribution of cards to home and away team players with 21 going to home players and 35 to away team players.

He has managed to keep his cards in his pocket in six of those games and that includes three of the last four he has been in charge of although in the fourth there were four yellow cards issued. The first of the three red cards was given to Rotherham United's Rob Scott after just three minutes of their 4-0 home defeat against Bradford City. From the resulting penalty Robbie Blake gave Bradford a 1-0 lead.

Bury's Jamie Stuart was next in a 5-1 defeat at Brentford and this game also saw the most number of yellow cards in a game from him this season with seven. The last of the reds for Mr. Rejer was given to Shrewsbury's Darren Moss in a 2-2 draw at Hartlepool.

The last time he refereed a Burnley game was the 2-0 defeat at Sheffield Wednesday last season. The two yellow cards that day were given to Sheffield Wednesday players. In the promotion season he was in charge of the 2-2 home draw against Bury when he booked one player from each side, the Burnley player being John Mullin.

The 1998/99 season saw him pay two visits to the Turf and both resulted in 1-0 wins for the Clarets. The first of these was against Blackpool when we benefited from a very dodgy looking penalty converted by Andy Payton. Just the one yellow card in the game to Blackpool's Gary Brabin in the penalty incident.

Later in the season he was there when we beat KK's Fulham as they were pushing for the play offs. This time it was a Ronnie Jepson goal that secured our place in Division Two for another season. Paul Rejer was busier on this occasion issuing eight yellow and one red card. The red card was given to Fulham's Kit Symons and the yellow cards were evenly shared. The four Burnley players booked were Graham Branch, Tom Cowan, Glen Little and Ally Pickering.

He had a somewhat quieter day in the following season when he took charge of our 2-2 draw at Plymouth. It was only October but was already looking a relegation battle. We escaped the cards that night, all three going to Plymouth players.