Late Preston goal sinks Clarets

Last updated : 30 July 2014 By Tony Scholes

It came at the end of a disappointing second half that had seen the home side turn the game round after we'd led 1-0 with an early goal from new signing Lukas Jutkiewicz, and, overall, we probably couldn't have too many complaints about the result.

Almost 1,900 Burnley fans were in the away end, all of us welcomed with a special poster wishing us good luck for the new season, and we saw the Clarets start the game with a strong line up which showed just three changes to the team that had started the last league game of last season at Reading.

Tom Heaton, Michael Kightly and Ashley Barnes were unavailable and we were replaced by new signings Matt Gilks, Matt Taylor and Lukas Jutkiewicz.

We made a terrific start and Preston were hardly able to get the ball as we dominated the early possession attacking the far Town End of the ground. Both Scott Arfield and Jutkiewicz came close to opening the scoring before we did get ourselves in front on the quarter hour.

North End's Bailey Wright was dispossessed by David Jones and the ball fell into the path of Jutkiewicz who gave home goalkeeper Jamie Jones no chance.

We continued to play some really good football and it seemed only a matter of time before there were further goals, but we just couldn't get that second and as the half wore on so Preston came more into it.

Lukas Jutkiewicz gave the Clarets the lead

Gilks was forced into one save but it was still a shock when, right on half time, Preston got the ball into the net from a header but their celebrations were cut short as they saw the assistant's flag raised for offside.

It was a different looking Preston in the second half and just seven minutes in they drew level although Kieran Trippier will have been disappointed not to have dealt with the ball before it reached Alan Browne who slotted home.

For much of the remainder of the game it looked odds on that it would end 1-1 with neither side really looking as though they would find a winner.

Just past the hour we introduced Ross Wallace and then Marvin Sordell, but the spark had gone and with some, shall we say, over enthusiastic challenges going in we seemed to lose our way completely.

Referee Barnes might well, had this been a league game, been very busy with his cards, and eventually he was left with no option but to show the home side two yellow cards, the first of them for a very late challenge.

I can't recall seeing a friendly with so many free kicks being awarded but maybe Preston, just a week and a half away from their season's start, were keen to step up their game, and it was no surprise that, ultimately, the winning goal came from a free kick.

We should certainly have been awarded one for a foul on Ben Mee but amazingly the referee waved it away much to the displeasure of our left back who immediately retaliated.

But once the free kick had been given let's take nothing away from Josh Brownhill. It really was a superb strike that deserved to win any game.

Burnley fans defiantly chanted: "We are Premier League," and we almost snatched a late equaliser with Jones having a shot saved in the very last minute of stoppage time.

2-1 it was then but I'm sure Sean Dyche and has backroom team will have been delighted to get nine of the players through a full ninety minutes, and with another three pre-season games remaining before the big kick off against Chelsea.

Some will get all hung up on the result; probably those who could be heard shouting: "Rubbish Dyche," as they left the Globe Arena at Morecambe just over a year ago, muttering about how desperate we were with players such as Scott Arfield on trial.

Blackpool next, and they've signed former Burnley loan player Nathan Delfouneso now to take their total number of players to 12, although still with no goalkeeper.

The Deepdale teams were;

Preston: Jamie Jones, Scott Wiseman (Calum Woods ht), Tom Clarke, Bailey Wright, Neil Kilkenny (Jack King ht), Paul Gallagher (Chris Humphrey 61), Joe Garner (John Welsh 75), Andy Little (Will Hayhurst 75), Ben Davies (David Buchanan 78), Josh Brownhill, Alan Browne (Kevin Davies 75), Subs not used: Thorsten Stuckmann, Keith Keane, Scott Laird, Jordan Hugill.

Burnley: Matt Gilks, Kieran Trippier, Michael Duff, Jason Shackell, Ben Mee, Scott Arfield, Dean Marney, David Jones, Matt Taylor (Ross Wallace 61), Danny Ings, Lukas Jutkiewicz (Marvin Sordell 66). Subs not used: Alex Cisak, Luke O'Neill, Kevin Long, Tom Anderson, Danny Lafferty, Steven Hewitt, Jason Gilchrist.

Referee: Peter Bankes (Merseyside).

Attendance: 5,457 (including 1,881 Clarets).