Germany Calling

Last updated : 01 August 2007 By Tony Scholes

Our journey started around midnight on Saturday night, just over seven hours after our win over League One Leeds and any worries about John's car not being up to the job of getting us to Stansted provied unfounded. We were there promptly enough although there were problems getting into the car park with our pre-booked ticket and ended with a Mr Bean style performance from John talking to a credit card machine.

Into the airport and John sent Big Dave a text (around 6:00 a.m.) asking for the tabloid transfer gossip. "The papers don't come for another hour at least, bugger off," came the reply.

The rest of the journey to Munich was fine, easyJet getting us there ahead of schedule. We were soon in the centre of the Bavarian city and this is where my knowledge of the streets came in useful, although I am sure both John and Martin would disagree.

I found the correct street (or so I thought). It was a long street and as we reached the last block we cursed out luck at having chosen the furthest hotel away. In truth it was on the first block (or so we thought) but on finally finding it we found there were two hotels with the same name and we'd got the wrong one. Thankfully they were only a street apart.

A quick change, the sun had come out, and the first destination was the memorial site of the former Dachau concentration camp just 20 minutes away. There are no jokes on this, it was one of the most moving experiences and the three hours spent there will live with me for the rest of my life.

Heavy rain greeted our departure, it almost seemed appropriate, but back in Munich for the evening and the almost English weather had disappeared. A compulsory visit to the Hofbrauhaus was followed by an enjoyable meal with at least one 'two stone challenger' breaking all his rules.

Our night out in Munich was an enjoyable one, but ended with John and myself treating Martin to a football stats session. Did Kevin Keegan really play for Burnley?