Abtenau shocker for Clarets

Last updated : 01 August 2007 By Tony Scholes
38 seconds - that's all it took for us to realise this might not be the perfect performance. Were you at Gillingham for the opening day of the 1981/82 season when Brian Laws crashed in an incredible own goal? If so then I can tell you this one matched it as Jon Harley hit a sensational 30-yard right footed dipping volley past Brian Jensen.

How to gift a team a goal and thirteen minutes later we did it again. This time it was all Jensen. Quite what he was doing is anyone's guesss but he succeeded in passing the ball to the Prefab forward on the edge of the box and he said thank you as he put the ball into the empty net.

The question was, how good were this lot as they dominated the game? Very good was my first thought but that view was quickly changed with the realisation that we were playing very badly, and on this evidence a midfield four of Berisha, Gudjonsson, McCann and Mahon simply does on work.

There were some positives, they were called Steven Caldwell and Stephen Jordan. We've got two very good defenders there, but to be honest the better entertainment was coming from the other side of the touchline and a classic Derek Mills performance.

A string of half time changes brought a bit of an improvement, although to be fair not much of one. Prefab came close to increasing their lead with a superb striker that came back off the inside of the post whilst the encouraging news for us was the performance of Kyle Lafferty who caused them the most problems.

The game was continuously broken up with a somewhat eccentric referee falling for some of the Romanian side's tricks of going down to win free kicks, but it has to be said we soon caught on and worked out it was very easy to et a decision.

The referee, we believe he was called Herr Beeby, got all demonstrative but his performance would certainly not have endeared him to a Turf Moor crowd.

A 2-0 defeat looked on the cards, but we dominated the last quarter of an hour and did pull one back through Andy Gray with three minutes to go. It was not enough and the big Burnley following trooped off, and found the bars again.

Team: Brian Jensen, Stephen Foster, Steven Caldwell, Stephen Jordan, Jon Harley (Steve Jones 60), Besart Berisha (Wade Elliott 45), Joey Gudjonsson (James O'Connor 45), Chris McCann (John Spicer 45), Alan Mahon (Michael Duff 45), Ade Akinbiyi (Andy Gray 45), Robbie Blake (Kyle Lafferty 45).