Nathan Dyer

Last updated : 01 September 2015 By Tony Scholes

Date and Place of Birth

29th November 1987 - TROWBRIDGE


Transfers to and from Burnley

from SOUTHAMPTON - 28th October 2005 (loan)

returned - 19th December 2005


First and Last Burnley Games

MILLWALL (h) - 1st November 2005

sub: replaced Michael Duff


WATFORD (h) - 17th December 2005


Other Clubs







Burnley Career Stats


Season League FA Cup League Cup Others Total
  apps gls apps gls apps gls apps gls apps gls
2005/06 4(1) 2 - - - - - - 4(1) 2
Total 4(1) 2 - - - - - - 4(1) 2


Profile by Tony Scholes


Just ahead of our televised home game against Hull City at the end of October 2005, Steve Cotterill brought in Burnley's first ever emergency loan signing, with the capture of Southampton youngster Nathan Dyer on a month's loan.

Dyer had come through the youth system at Southampton and had been a member of the team that played in the FA Youth Cup Final earlier in 2005, losing out in that final to Ipswich. That had led to the 17-year-old winger playing three times for Harry Redknapp's first team early in the 2005/06 season.

He was named as substitute for our win against Hull, but remained on the bench for the entire game. On the following Tuesday he found himself on the bench again for the home game against Millwall. With the Clarets a goal down at half time Steve Cotterill decided to make a double change and young Dyer, all five foot and a bit of him, stood on the touchline alongside the six foot and plenty Gifton Noel-Williams as they both waited to come on.

Dyer replaced Michael Duff and on a night of high drama he helped turn the game Burnley's way. He'd lifted the crowd with his pace and willingness to run at the Millwall defence, and had seen a shot well saved before he got his chance. He turned a defender before hitting a shot across the keeper and in off the post.

In his next appearance he played in the middle against Leeds at Elland Road and for forty-five minutes frightened them to death. A week later he was back at Turf Moor and back on the score sheet as we beat Crewe.

That all prompted Cotterill to try and extend the loan. He was able to convince Redknapp that he should stay with us and we got him until the end of the year although that didn't go down well with the Saints fans. Their side was in a poor run of form and there was one of their young players picking up man of the match awards for a club in the same division.

Our next game was at Southampton, so he had to sit that one out, but with Redknapp walking out there were concerns that they might try to recall him early. Dave Bassett and Dennis Wise took over on a temporary basis and they did recall him, but not before we got another couple of games from him. He had his only poor game for us at Sheffield United but signed off a week later with another starring role in our 4-1 home win against Watford.

We were hoping that he'd be in our side again for the next game against Stoke at home, but as we beat them in the Boxing Day clash Nathan Dyer was lining up against Watford again, this time for Southampton.

There were rumours of a return early in 2006, but that was perhaps wishful thinking by supporters who had enjoyed his short stay with us. It didn't happen and he signed a new long term deal at Southampton and set about establishing himself in the first team.

He suffered a broken leg during the 2006/07 but recovered fully and although he wasn't involved in the end of season play offs he's was still very much part of George Burley's squad.

Dyer had a difficult 2007/08 season though both on and off the field. As his side Southampton struggled he was involved in a nightclub incident that saw him suspended by his club. In July 2008 he was banished from pre-season training after refusing a new deal but eventually, with no other takers, he committed to a further three years at St. Mary's.

Despite signing the new contract he failed to win a place in the side and had started just one game for Southampton when he was loaned out to Sheffield United on 26th September 2008 with Blades' youngster Jordan Robertson moving in the opposite direction. The loan was for the maximum 93 days allowed until 28th December.

He failed to make an impact at Sheffield United and on his return to Southampton was immediately loaned out again, moving to Swansea on 2nd January 2009 for the rest of the 2008/09 season. On 2nd June 2009, after a successful loan, he signed for Swansea permanently. The transfer fee was £400,000 and Dyer signed a three year deal.

Dyer was a regular in the Swansea side until the second half of the 2014/15 season when he lost that regular place to Jefferson Montero. Not in the side at the beginning of 2015/16. he moved to Leicester late on transfer deadline day, 1st September 2015, on a season long loan.



Dyer gets to play again (25/07/08)

Blades and Saints in Dyer swap (26/09/08)

Dyer in Welsh move (02/01/09)

Dyer completes Swansea move (02/06/09)

Dyer moves to Leicester (01/09/15)