Danny Karbassiyoon

Last updated : 04 June 2013 By Tony Scholes

Date and Place of Birth

10th August 1984 - VIRGINIA, USA


Transfers to and from Burnley

from ARSENAL - 30th June 2005

released - 15th August 2006


First and Last Burnley Games

ASTON VILLA (a) - 25th October 2005

sub: replaced Wade Elliott


COVENTRY CITY (a) - 25th February 2006

sub: replaced Graham Branch


Other Clubs




Burnley Career Stats


Season League FA Cup League Cup Others Total
  apps gls apps gls apps gls apps gls apps gls
2005/06 0(5) - - - 0(1) - - - 0(6) -
Total 0(5) - - - 0(1) - - - 0(6) -


Profile by Tony Scholes


Danny Karbassiyoon joined the Clarets from Arsenal just before the start of pre-season training in 2005, Steve Cotterill's fifth summer addition to his squad. Steve beat a number of clubs to get the signature of the 20-year-old including Ipswich whose boss Joe Royle admitted he was desperate to sign him. He signed a two year deal with the Clarets.

Virginian born Danny had been spotted by the Arsenal scouts in the USA and was offered apprentice terms with the Gunners. He was originally a striker but during his time at Highbury was converted into a left back. He never made it onto the pitch in a Premiership game but did feature in some Carling Cup ties including a late substitute appearance at Manchester City when he scored the winning goal.

A loan spell at Ipswich followed, and although his appearances were limited he did more than enough to impress Royle who targeted him for a summer move to Portman Road. He missed out, Burnley got him and we looked forward to seeing this first American to wear the claret and blue.

When the pre-season games got underway on a scorching hot day at Cheltenham, a game played as part of the deal that brought Michael Duff to Burnley, Danny was on the bench. But his introduction in the second half gave us a flavour of what to expect. There to see was the pace we knew he must have given that he'd been at Arsenal, a good touch, an eye for a pass and an ability to take players on and get past them.

There was real enthusiasm from the Burnley fans there that day, but what we could never have known is that Danny's problems were only just starting. A few days later he sat out the game at Accrington because of an injury. I spoke to him that night and he thought it was something and nothing, just a tweak. He didn't feature again in the pre-season, although he did make the trip to Austria, and when the season got underway he was still on the injured list.

He finally returned to action in September, making his first start for Burnley in a reserve game at Chester where only a handful of us were on hand to see him play the first 75 minutes before being replaced by Jay Rodriguez. Danny was on the way back and in the following month took his place on the bench for the first time at the away game at Crystal Palace.

Four days later he made it onto the pitch, coming on as a late sub for Wade Elliott in the Carling Cup tie at Aston Villa and could have scored in those last few minutes as the Clarets searched for an equaliser.

It was like having a new signing, but it didn't quite work out and he never once made the starting line up during that season. There were just five more substitute appearances, the last of them being his longest time on the pitch when he replaced Graham Branch a few minutes before half time at Coventry. For the rest of the time he was a regular in the reserves but his performances never suggested he would be ready for a step up to first team duty.

With a year remaining on his contract Danny was placed on the transfer list at the end of the 2005/06 season and in July he joined Dutch club AZ Alkmaar on trial. That came to nothing and back at Burnley he was ruled out of all the pre-season games again because of injury. He looked a forlorn figure in Italy, unable to take part in the games.

The new season got underway and by now we didn't expect to see him in the match day squad. By mid-August came the news that his contract had been terminated. At the time manager Steve Cotterill said: "Danny has been extremely unlucky with injuries from the first time he came to the club and, after seeing a couple of specialists, it is probably best that he gives his injury time to settle.

"We've had a good chat and Danny is now looking forward to going home to be with his family. We thank him for his efforts at Burnley and are sorry it has ended this way. We wish him all the best and look forward to seeing him play in the MLS in the future."

That was August 2006 but in February of 2007 Danny's injuries finally beat him and his football career was over at the age of 22. How good he might have been we will never know.