Last updated : 05 August 2012 By Andy Ashworth & Tony Scholes

Date and Place of Birth

5th September 1978 - South Shields


Transfers to and from Burnley

youth from summer 1995

released - 14th May 1999


First and last Burnley Games

Stockport County (h) - 4th February 1997

sub: replaced Liam Robinson


Preston North End (h) - 8th December 1998


Other Clubs

Ethinikos (loan from Burnley)


Berwick Rangers



Burnley Career Stats


Season League   FA Cup   League Cup   Others   Total  
  apps gls apps gls apps gls apps gls apps gls
1996/97 - - - - - - 0(1) - 0(1) -
1997/98 0(1) - - - - - - - 0(1) -
1998/99 2(2) - - - 0(2) - 1 - 3(4) -
Total 2(3) - -   0(2) - 1 - 3(6) -


Profile by Andy Ashworth


Spotted playing football for Sunday league side Jarrow FC by the father of Jimmy Mullen, Carr-Lawton was handed a chance in the Burnley FC youth program.

A series of eye-catching displays in the 'A' team saw him progress quickly and he made a number of appearances for the reserve team under Adrian Heath. Inchy once described him as 'an Alan Smith type player' and was impressed by his willingness to learn.

He had found himself competing with Phil Eastwood and Ian Duerden as the preferred striking understudy and appeared to be winning the battle. His chance with the 1st team came under Stan Ternent and he managed to get his name on the scoresheet in the friendly match against Dawlish Town.

It was the maiden season of Ternent's reign and even though we struggled horribly Carr-Lawton was restricted to only a handful of appearances, as Eastwood reasserted himself as the youngster Ternent favoured.

Stan sent him out on loan to Greek side Ethinikos, who were managed by Howard Kendall, in order to broaden his footballing horizons, but the foreign experience turned sour for him and fellow Claret Carl Smith. The Greeks found themselves in financial difficulties and parted company with Kendall.

Carr-Lawton and several other loan signings found themselves surplus to requirements and returned to their clubs, only to find their returns impeded by red tape. Ethinikos had retained player registrations and Carr-Lawton was in FIFA's football limbo.

He returned in March but didn't receive international clearance till around August - during which time he found himself shown the door by Ternent. Leyton Orient offered him a trial but when he was unable to earn a long term deal he signed for Berwick Rangers. After a short spell north of the border he joined Whitby Town, scoring 3 goals in their 1999-2000 season but appeared to part company with them during or after that season.