We were booting it all over the gaff

Last updated : 08 December 2003 By Tony Scholes

Sheffield United boss Neil Warnock once again snubbed by Stan, was furious both at half time and full time but got nowhere with referee Neale Barry who just laughed at him.

Afterwards he had calmed down and had put on his TV face to say, "We made mistakes and we were punished, it was Christmas presents come early. But I have to say it was quite an entertaining end to end game that must have been good to watch.

"We knew that Burnley would come at us hard for the first fifteen minutes and that it would be a matter of seeing that off before getting our own game going. And I thought our effort was super, particularly when we were down to ten men.

"At that stage we were very positive and put three up front and really went for it."

He wouldn’t be drawn on the incident that saw his midfielder Michael Brown but would wait until he had the chance to see it again.

"I haven’t seen the sending off on video so I can’t comment but the referee was adamant that it was a straight red card. We will have a look at it and it that is the case I will hammer Michael Brown because he let us down a bit with that and he will now get a four game ban because he has been sent off already this season at Crystal Palace."

On the Friday Warnock signed to keepers and decided to select Lee Baxter ahead of Alan Fettis but substituted Baxter at half time.

"The two goals from open play knocked Baxter’s confidence a bit and he is distraught. I took him off to calm things down and it was obvious that whoever we had in goal in the second half would keep a clean sheet because Alan Fettis had nothing to do. Lee id down but I’ve told him that there are worse things in life than that."

And a final world on the officials.

"We can count ourselves unfortunate that the same assistant who flagged for their penalty didn’t see the blatant tug on Peter Ndlovu’s shirt near the end, and neither did the other two officials."

Stan was a happy man as we extended our unbeaten run to four games with a second successive home win against one of the top teams.

"I thought they battled hard today," he said after the game. "And it was a battle. It was a very competitive match and I thought we could have been in front even before we took the lead.

"We then showed great character to get to 3-2 after they went in front but we can still improve on this. It was three points against a very good side though."

Stan brought on Paul Weller at half time for Luke Chadwick in a tactical switch to tighten up the midfield but he was not as happy with the second half performance, particularly the way we gave the ball away.

"Our ball retention in the second half was poor, we were booting it all over the gaff, but we needed to make that change at half time it was a tight game. But Paul Weller jarred his knee after he came on so we’ll have to see how he is now. We’re struggling with numbers at the moment and the four lads on the line are all we have."