We didn't have one player who played to their usual standards

Last updated : 06 March 2002 By Tony Scholes

Without a win in seven Walsall boss Colin Lee was without doubt delighted to pick up the three points and pointed to the fact that Burnley change their shape so often that it took them some time to get going,

"I was pleased with the way the team played under difficult circumstances. We set a game plan out and we thought that they would come and play with five across the middle, so we put Steve Corica in the hole. We were one step ahead of them on that one, as we know that they change their shape quite a lot, so we adapted to that. That is why it took us 10 to 15 minutes to get out rhythm going.

"They did threaten us from crosses because they have some big boys up there. Gareth Taylor is always a danger, but apart from that we were pretty pleased with the performance. There were a lot of good performances tonight and you could single out several players, but it is a team performance. The players thoroughly deserved that win tonight because they have worked so hard.

"The goal came from a worked corner and something that we have tried in training and it has worked twice now. It doesn't matter how they go in, but we needed one like that and we'll take it."

Despite the booing again last night Stan took it out on the players this time after such a poor performance,

"It is my job to get it right and we have got nine games to do it. Stockport is a must win game for us now. It was very disappointing, we didn't have one player who played to their usual standards. I am very frustrated.

"The goal was a foul but the ref didn't give it but that is not to take away from Walsall and we were very poor. I will make no excuses and the players have not performed to their capabilities. They are fully aware of the situation and we will carry on from there."

Marcelo shatters Burnley

By Ron Gubba (Daily Telegraph)

WALSALL picked up three valuable points with their first win in seven League matches as Burnley's promotion challenge continues to falter. Marcelo's strike after 52 minutes means the Lancashire side have now won only twice in 13 league matches, though they remain in fifth place in the table.

Burnley began with a clear intention of improving on that recent record, their committed approach characterised by Ian Moore, who made several surging runs. However, when he hunted down Zigor Aranalde and won the ball he failed to find a colleague with his cross.

Walsall's first serious foray came in the 19th minute, when Marcelo headed on for Steve Corica, but Marlon Beresford was off his line quickly to gather the ball.

Having contained Burnley's initial thrust, Walsall continued to create problems and Marcelo twice went close - his first effort blocked by Beresford, then, moments later, he shot narrowly wide. Burnley's muted response was a couple of rather weak efforts from outside the area from Gareth Taylor.

Walsall took the lead when Fitzroy Simpson's right-wing corner led to confusion in the Burnley goalmouth and Marcelo stabbed home his first goal since his free transfer from Birmingham last month. The Brazilian might have added another five minutes later, but Beresford produced a spectacular save.