Pele couldn't pass on that surface

Last updated : 03 March 2002 By Tony Scholes

Norwich are not the best of sides away from home and hadn't picked up a single point on their travels in 2002 so manager Nigel Worthington was delighted to get the point although he did feel that his side could quite easily have picked up all three.

"We played well and I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get all three points. It was one of our best performances away from home all season and every player played as we wanted.

"To concede a goal early on was disappointing from our point of view, but we have made up for it. Marlon Beresford made a tremendous save from Marc Libbra and he is a player I know from my time at Sheffield Wednesday and he's made a good career for himself.

"I'm delighted with the performance. It's a terrific point away from home, we created some very good chances. I can't pick out an individual player as they all put in good performances. All the commitment and performance from everyone today was for all our fans".

On the Glen Little injury Worthington, who was right next to the incident, said,

"Both lads have gone for a challenge in the air and they have both landed hard. We just hope that the lad turns out to be okay and it does affect the game to see a fellow professional down like that."

Stan had very little to say about the game but chose to speak about the attitude of the Burnley supporters and the state of the pitch.

"I was disappointed with the crowd today. There was a small minority who moaned again and I'm naffed off with them to be honest. We are fifth in the First Division and in the top 25 sides in England, yet they still moan and boo the team. Is that bad, what more do they want?

"We're going for the play-offs and have made progress every year, but they still moan and boo. It has a complete adverse effect and in my book they have got champagne tastes on beer money. These players have done magnificently for them. They won't play well every game. Did we lose today? No we drew, so there we are. We've lost one in the last six, but that's not good enough for them."

"I couldn't give a monkey's if they have a go at me, I've lived here a long time and I know their mentality, but it's the players I feel for. We've gone from the depths of despair to where we are now and they're still moaning. It's quite incredible.

"I think a draw was about fair and they were probably the better side and we had a few breaks, but we've got a point. We started well and Gareth's was a lovely goal, but the pitch is bad at the moment. Bally has had a good chance and Weller could have scored, but overall, a point was fair.

"We need a better surface to play on than that. I will take control of that. It's my department and I will have a proper pitch for them to play on. We are a passing team, but Pele couldn't pass on that surface."

Burnley fall away after loss of Little

By Richard Slater (Independent on Sunday)

For so long Burnley looked a reasonable bet for automatic elevation to the top flight and odds-on for a play-off berth, but after this lacklustre performance and what may yet prove a serious injury to their foremost talent, Glen Little, the bookmakers would be advised to reassess their offer.

The verdict on Little's injury – he was unconscious before landing after challenging for a header with Darren Kenton – is promising though he was expected to remain in Burnley General Hospital overnight. Judgement on his side's promotion prospects may need to be reserved until a firm prognosis is delivered.

Little supplied the corner for the game's seventh-minute opener. Gareth Taylor applied the header which sneaked under the feet of Steen Nedergaard, who really should have made a better stab of clearing the ball.

Shortly after the restart the game was held up for eight minutes while an army of medics attended to the Irishman. His head was placed in a brace and he was taken from the field on a stretcher. Concussion is likely, which makes an appearance against Walsall on Tuesday highly unlikely.

Stan Ternent, the Burnley manager, praised those who treated Little. "It was a completely accidental clash of heads and he was out cold before he hit the deck.''

The injury and attendant delay dulled the pace of a game in which precious little constructive football was in evidence for the remainder of the opening period.

The visitors emerged from the break displaying a previously unseen urgency. David Nielsen should have levelled matters within a minute but he snatched his shot wide.

Burnley too had a chance to add to the scoreline but Kevin Ball scuffed his effort from eight yards. The visitors, though, moved into the ascendancy and Marc Libbra's well-taken equaliser was a fair reward for their endeavours. Nedergaard made up for his earlier failing with a superbly weighted ball from the right that the former Celtic striker controlled and slotted home.

In the last minute of normal time, Libbra was desperately unlucky not to secure all the points for his side when his header from another Nedergaard cross rolled to safety from the inside of the post.

Ternent had harsh words for both the state of the pitch and sections of his own support. "We are a passing side but Pele couldn't pass on this surface. And I'm naffed off with some of the fans who just turn up to moan and boo.''

It was a terse reminder to Burnley's impatient fans of how far the club, who have lost just once in seven outings, have come under Ternent.

Little injury mars Turf Moor clash

By David Ursell at Turf Moor (Sunday Telegraph)

Despite them thinking that the Burnley goalkeeper was former Norwich City keeper Paul Crichton

A SECOND-HALF strike by substitute Marc Libbra denied Burnley their first home win since December 15, but the match was overshadowed by the serious injury to Claret midfielder Glen Little who required hospital treatment after an aerial collision with Norwich defender Darren Kenton.

Norwich welcomed back Phil Mulryne, Malky Mackay and Andy Roberts from suspension giving the Canaries extra bulk with Nigel Worthington hoping to secure all three points after their 2-1 defeat by struggling Watford in midweek.

However, Worthington's optimism was shattered after only six minutes when a corner from Little was met by Burnley top-scorer Gareth Taylor with the Welshman steering his header through Steen Nedergaard's legs for his 14th strike of the season.

It was, however, the aerial collision in the eighth minute between Little, 26, and Kenton which had the greatest impact on the game, leaving the former Glentoran player needing hospital treatment with the game halted for almost nine minutes.

Not surprisingly, the stoppage knocked the momentum out of the game. However, Norwich striker Trevor Benjamin might have hauled the Canaries back into the match after 30 minutes but failed to connect at the back post.

Excellent work by Libbra almost silenced the Claret faithful, but his powerful shot produced a tremendous save from 6ft 1in Marlon Beresford to keep Burnley in front at the break.

Norwich emerged from the tunnel believing they could puncture the Burnley defence and were rewarded in the 52nd minute when former Canary Paul Crichton was beaten from six yards by Libbra.

A frantic final 10 minutes saw both sides squander good chances with Libbra almost handing Norwich all three points, but his header connected with an upright and the match ended all square.