Money's tight and the Cup is an all-pay circumstance

Last updated : 17 January 2003 By Tony Scholes

Grimsby boss Paul Groves got to see it at close hand as he played all but the last few minutes of a game that was as one sided as anything seen on the Turf for years. But Groves was gracious in defeat and made no attempt to suggest his side was unlucky in any way.

“We had some young players out there tonight and it will be a good lesson for them, a lesson in reality. We came here to give it a go but we weren’t good enough, Burnley were the better side and deserved their win.

“We didn’t create many chances and it was a bit too much for us but don’t take anything away from Burnley they played well and deserved their win.”

Stan was more than happy to be going through to Round Four and said after the game,

"We had numerous chances and we made hard work of it really until we got the second goal and it's always a bit edgy when it's 1-0 because you never know what could happen. I think we tried to walk the ball in on a few occasions when we maybe could have taken our chances.

"We were off the pace with our tempo of the game and weren't our normal selves and we have played better and lost. The main thing though is that we are in the fourth round and with those goals going in I felt as though it showed our superiority.

"I think it was a fair reflection on the overall game because we created loads and loads of chances, and I'm happy we're through.”

He went on to talk about the importance of a good cup run,

"Money's tight and the Cup is an all-pay circumstance. In the Worthington Cup we played Blackpool, which was a decent game because it was a derby, we got through that and went to Huddersfield, they took us to extra time and we managed to get through that.

"The reward for that was Spurs at home then Manchester United at home so, if we can go through in the next round of the cup to Brentford, which I hope we can, who knows what can happen."

Blake leads rampant Burnley

Peter Gardner (Daily Telegraph)

Burnley comprehensively accounted for a poor Grimsby side although the big disappointment was Turf Moor's lowest crowd of the season - just 5,436 - for a decidedly one-sided replay.

The home side led from the 24th minute through a stunning Ian Moore strike but then swamped Grimsby with a late surge, three goals coming in the final 11 minutes sending Burnley to Brentford in the next round.

Burnley, who had established a two-goal lead at Blundell Park, again dominated the opening period and were unfortunate not to have more than the one goal to show for their efforts.

The home side gained control from the outset with their midfield authority constantly pressurising Grimsby who were weakened because of injuries.

Indeed, so outplayed were the visitors that they had just one genuine effort to show for their endeavours in the first 45 minutes.

Burnley revealed their intent as early as the sixth minute when Robbie Blake delivered a stunning strike that was splendidly turned behind by the Grimsby goalkeeper, Danny Coyne.

Splendid approach play by Dean West provided Ian Moore with sufficient ammunition to again test the visitors, although the shot from the right was behind.

Burnley provided threats on both flanks with a series of tantalising crosses testing the visiting defence. However, it was from a long clearance through the middle by the Burnley goalkeeper Nik Michopoulos that provided the breakthrough.

Moore confidently gained control, twisted and turned inside and unleashed a powerful 25-yarder that gave Coyne no chance.

It was his sixth goal of the season and gave Burnley further impetus to press home their advantage and Blake shot over to add to the visitors' discomfort.

Alan Moore shot marginally wide and his namesake, Ian, shot over before Grimsby finally broke away five minutes from the break.

Darren Mansaram, scorer of one of the Town goals in the 2-2 first encounter, pierced the home defence only for David Soames to finish with a poor attempt over the bar.

There was no respite for Grimsby. The Burnley bombardment was sustained with Blake driving into the hands of Coyne six minutes after the resumption. In fact the Grimsby goalkeeper was rapidly emerging his side's hero as he blocked a close-in drive from Ian Moore.

On the hour the visitors responded with only their second positive effort of the entire game, a poor drive by Terry Cooke that was wide.

Burnley's second goal was delayed until the 79th minute, a fine individual effort by Graham Branch. Blake confirmed home superiority with an 85th-minute penalty after Stuart Campbell had impeded substitute Dimi Papadopoulos. Ian Moore broke clear to make it four in injury time.