He was the only person on Humberside who saw it

Last updated : 05 January 2003 By Tony Scholes

Grimsby boss Paul Groves was disappointed with his team’s first half performance that saw them go in at the interval looking as though they were on their way out of the cup at the first hirdle.

"We huffed and puffed during that first half", said Groves. "We were 2-0 down at half time and were booed off by our fans and we needed to do something about it.

"But we showed really good character after the break and got the bit between our teeth and showed great determination. We showed a never say die attitude.

"It wasn’t pretty but it was never going to be in those conditions and although we tried to play and get the ball down on the floor it was hard work. That way of playing is not something we want to do on a regular basis though.

"I thought we could have won it and I missed a chance during that second half when I didn’t even hit the target. When Darren Mansaram went on the run that ended with the equaliser some of the players (including myself) were shouting at him to pass. But we all know his strength is his left foot and they allowed him to get it onto his left foot and then we all knew what he was going to do.

"We have won as many games away this season as we have at home and so we do fancy it. And if a plum tie comes out then it will be an even bigger incentive."

As the Clarets once again lost a two goal lead Stan said he was disappointed but not for the first time in recent weeks he pointed a finger at the referee.

"We are very disappointed because once again we were two goals up but I felt it was an extremely harsh decision to award the penalty because there was no appeal.

"They were as surprised as us but I spoke to the referee who said it was a pull. He was the only person on Humberside who saw it. We were fine and comfortable until that decision and there were some good performances out there.

"But we are in the hat for Monday’s draw and there are a lot of sides who would like to swap places with us."